Monday, May 26, 2008

What's in a bed?

What's in a bed? That is a rhetorical question, of course. Joe and I bought a new bed today. We've been talking about it, and as both of us were rolling toward the center of our old bed (my bed before we got married,) and every morning I could feel a spring just beginning to stick out of my side of the bed, it was time to invest in a new one. (Thanks, economic stimulus money!)

The process of picking out a new bed was fun. We went to two places advertising Memorial Day sales. The first place was bright and clean with friendly sales people. The second place was dingier and the sales person couldn't seem to find a firm mattress like the people at the first place had. That is the other thing about the bed we had. It was a pillow top, nice and sinky and cozy, but Joe prefers a firmer mattress, and I can sleep on a firmer mattress, so I didn't think it would be a big deal to switch.

After a very brief stop at the second place, we went back to the first place and purchased the bed we liked. It was delivered a few hours later, and we put the sheets and comforter on, laid down, and Joe was immediately in comfort land. I was immediately sad. I miss my bed. I miss the cozy soft feeling of climbing into it. This one is just hard and unwelcoming. I know it will change as I get used to it, and I know it's going to be better for my back, but I almost started crying. It was the first bed I bought on my own. I bought it when I moved to Houston, and it's traveled with me since then. And it's very nice for one person -- it doesn't matter if one person rolls toward the middle of the bed.

So, I know I'll get used to it, it was very fun to go shopping for "our" first bed, and I am thankful for a new one...but I am allowing myself to be sad for just a bit about the old one, which, by the way, is now sitting in our dining room. Anyone within driving distance need a bed?

4 comments:

betsyann said...

Change is hard. I was sad when I had to start sharing a bed at all again. Sleeping in my own bed was one of my favorite things about college. Why'd I get married so young? :)

Next time you visit, you'll have to lay on our bed. We have a really firm mattress, but with one of those memory foam toppers on it. Maybe that'd work for both of you?

Trinket said...

We talked about that today. The guy tried to sell us a memory foam bed, but both of us felt like we couldn't move at all. When we stayed at the B&B on our honeymoon, we both loved the bed, and we think it just had the memory foam topper on it, so that just might work!

Susan said...

I totally know what you mean. It takes me forever to get used to new beds because they don't sink. I roll to the middle of mine every night, and it's the one time that I'm thankful that I'm broke and unemployed, so that I have perfect excuses not to get a new one.

Unknown said...

Brent and I STILL have not bought "our" new bed, after 5.5 years of marriage. We have gotten hand-me-downs from Brent's parents who are picky and change beds all the time.
I am sick of ours and can't wait until we have funds specifically to get a new bed, sigh......